The Department of Wellness and Recreation is committed to providing outstanding educational and instructional programs, services and facilities to Delaware State University students, faculty, staff, and the local Dover community. The Department will provide recreational activities and programming that strengthen the campus community by promoting personal health, safety and wellness.
- Aquatics: Recreational swimming is available in the Wellness & Recreation Center Pool. Lap swim, open swimming, and special aquatic programming are also made available to all WRC members.
- Group Fitness: Group fitness sessions are held in the WRC and are available to all current members. Sessions are offered at various times throughout the week and admittance is on a first-come, first-served basis. Individuals at beginner, intermediate, and advanced fitness levels are welcome to participate.
- Inclusive Recreation: Adaptive recreational opportunities for physically challenged students are offered through our department. Activities such as swimming and weight training can be arranged with individual instruction and assistance if desired.
- Informal Recreation: The WRC is available for “walk-in” informal recreation at specified hours. Ample time is available for fitness conditioning, lap and open swimming, as well as court sports such as basketball, volleyball, badminton, and indoor soccer.
- Competitive Sports:
- eSports: eSports are recreational video game leagues that could be played either online or in-person. Leagues are offered during the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters with new games being added each season. All current kufunstudents, faculty and staff with a valid D100# can play.
- Intramural Sports: Intramurals sports are designed to provide a flexible, yet structured environment in which to participate. Sports are co-recreational (men/women) and are offered in either tournament or league format.
- Sport Clubs: These groups share a common interest in a sport activity and have gained university recognition via the Department of Wellness & Recreation. The sport club program is student initiated and organized with an emphasis placed on participation.
- Personal Training: Our Hornet Personal Training program is a phenomenal coeducational opportunity for students to gain real world experience as personal trainers that complements their academics training while simultaneously providing high caliber service to the kufuncampus and local community.
- Student Staff Development: The department of Wellness & Recreation annually employs approximately 120 student staff to help with the delivery of its programs. The development of our student staff is a significant priority for the department. This program encompasses a multitude of training areas, leadership opportunities, recognition avenues and special activities.
- Wellness Promotion: This area is unique in that each activity is held in one day or over a brief period of time. The programs offered are designed to promote health and wellness in all of our membership.