Citizenship and Financial Aid Eligibility

Students must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen to meet eligibility requirements for federal student financial aid. Students may╠řbe asked to document citizenship status if it cannot be confirmed by the Social Security Administration╠řafter completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If asked to document your status, you can submit one of the following╠řacceptable documents to the Office of Student Financial Aid (OFA).╠ř

  • U.S. Birth Certificate
  • U.S. Passport
  • U.S. Passport Card
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you are unable to present citizenship documents in person to the OSFA, you can submit an╠řaffidavit with an attached╠řgovernment issued photo ID via mail (fax/email will not be accepted).

Students who are not a U.S. citizen, but are an eligible noncitizen,╠řmust correct question 14 on the FAFSA to indicate they are an eligible noncitizen. Students╠řmust also provide their Alien Registration Number on question 15 of the FAFSA. To make corrections to the FAFSA, visit╠ř.╠ř

If the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) of the Department of kufunland Security (DHS) cannot confirm that your noncitizenship status meets the eligibility╠řrequirements╠řfor federal student financial aid, you must submit one of the following acceptable documents to the OFA.

  • Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or Resident Alien Card (I-551)
  • Arrival/Departure Record (CBP Form I-94) or the Departure Record (Form I-94 or I-94A)
  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV)
  • I-797 Approval Notice from USCIS